Thursday, January 30, 2014

Forced Time Out from 23 Mobile Things

OK...my boss, the librarian, keeps teasing me and telling me to stop learning. Due to a couple of things over which I have no control, I did just that. At least, when it comes to the 23 Mobile Things.

First of all, my tablet has decided to punish me if I let it run out of juice. If it gets to the point where it has so little charge that it shuts itself off, then it will take a full 2 days to charge up enough for me to turn it on. OK, fine, I just let it charge. I started looking at the list apps, but found that my attention was not grabbed enough to play with it too much on my phone.

Second, someone decided that they would go on a shopping spree using my PayPal account. Luckily for me, I have been using PayPal for all the purchases I made on Ebay and a couple of other sites. I have always felt a little more comfortable with the fact that I have only put my credit/debit card information on one site, without having to send it to multiple small, often out-of-country, retailers/vendors. Thank goodness that I did. I contacted PayPal when I had these unauthorized charges clear my checking account. They had already frozen my account and reversed the charges. They were very helpful, and even emailed me a letter to show to my bank since the third charge had sent my account into a negative balance, and I had been charged an overdraft fee. After taking care of this, and confirming that I was really me, I changed my password and they unfroze my account. It looks like it was just charges through PayPal, they didn't get my actual banking account information. I have always been very watchful for thing like phishing, and I'm not sure how someone hacked my account, but it happened. To be on the safe side, my husband & I went in and closed our current checking account, and opened a new one. Now I have to deal with all of the automatic payments and deposits that need to updated. Sigh.

Where to start? Make a list of all of the people that I needed to contact and what needed to be done. Wait! What was the item I was just working on? List & organization apps! Perfect. Now I know what to use them for. I started taking a look at them last night. Tonight will be a little more experimenting around...not to mention phone calls...and then I will post my next item tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. Sorry to hear about all of that. Great job though on starting and working on the 23 Mobile Things. Sounds like you are having fun exploring many of the apps. Don't forget that "each time you complete a group of five things (in any order), send us an email at minn23@gmail.com with your name, region and blog name and we will add a badge next to your blog on the blog list by region." (FAQ #6.)

    ReplyDelete